Pesto Bread Recipe
I like to walk down the grocery aisle thinking of what different ingredients I can incorporate into new recipes. This Italian-inspired quick bread took home a prize at our state fair.—Leigh Doutt, Pueblo West, Colorado
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or 4 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, sour cream, milk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the pine nuts, cheese, parsley and basil.
- 2. Transfer to a greased 8-in x 4-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf (12 slices).
1 slice equals 176 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC