“I first tasted this delicious combination in a local bistro,” recalls Robyn Larabee. She's been making the hefty sandwiches ever since at home in Lucknow, Onatario. It's a tasty way to use up those last, languishing garden tomatoes!
TIP: Robyn says her BLTs are especially good served on rustic, homemade whole wheat-and-honey bread.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- Dash pepper
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 2 slices Havarti cheese (1 ounce each)
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and halved
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pesto and pepper. Spread
- evenly over one side of each slice of toast. On two slices, layer
- with cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato; top with remaining toast.
- Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 sandwich (prepared with reduced-fat mayonnaise) equals 379 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 738 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein.