- 2 beef shanks (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cold water, divided
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into eighths
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 pearl onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle meat with 1 tablespoon flour; place in a shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Mix 1 cup water, broth, soup mix, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and thyme; pour over meat. Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Turn meat; add the potato, carrots and onions. Cover; return to oven for 30-45 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat and vegetables and keep warm.
- To prepare gravy, skim fat from pan juices. Measure 1 cup of the juices and place in a small saucepan. Combine remaining flour and cold water; stir into juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with meat and vegetables. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Midget Pot Roast in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p22
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Personal Pot Roasts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 2, 2011
This is wonderful----a real man pleaser.
Reviewed Mar. 23, 2010
All of your recipes should include nutrition information.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >