Persimmon Squash Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CARAMEL TOPPING:
- 30 caramels
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a blender, combine the buttermilk, squash and persimmon pulp; cover and process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugars, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the eggs, cream, butter, vanilla and squash mixture; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine caramels and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until melted and smooth. Pour over hot pie. Sprinkle with pecans and toffee bits. Cool completely on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Persimmon Squash Pie(1)
Sort By :
This is a really nice pie and not difficult to make. Since it is a little sweet I am going to cut the white sugar next time since some people said they couldn't taste the persimmon too much. But it is ia little on the lines of the sweetness of pecan pie only (I think) nicer.