Persimmon Rice Pudding
As a girl, I always helped with canning and preserving fruit, including persimmons. Now I buy large quantities at the grocery store. I love to serve this unique dessert for fall and winter gatherings.—Opal Amidon, Garden Grove, California
10-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 2 cups ripe persimmon pulp
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a large bowl, combine rice and persimmon pulp; set aside. Combine
- sugar, milk, flour, egg and vanilla; add to rice mixture and mix
- well. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Pour into a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350°
- for 45 minutes or until pudding is set. Serve warm or cold. Yield:
- 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 235 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.