Persimmon Nut Roll Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mashed ripe persimmon pulp
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- 1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 5 minutes on medium speed or until lemon-colored. Gradually add the sugar, persimmon pulp and lemon juice; beat for 3 minutes. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture and beat well.
- 2. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan; sprinkle with pecans. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 3. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. For filling, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- 5. Unroll cake and spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers. Yield: 10 servings.
1 slice (calculated without additional confectioners' sugar) equals 402 calories, 23 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 435 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.