Perky Penguins Recipe
My children and I needed something to perk up our spirits during the cold month of January, so we decided to celebrate Penguin Awareness Month with these cute critters.—Julie Lavender, Silverdale, Washington
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 12 large marshmallows
- 2 packages (2-1/4 ounces each) Tootsie Rolls
- 12 miniature chocolate chips
- 18 pieces candy corn
- 6 Oreo cookies
- 1. In a microwave, melt milk chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. Place a small amount of chocolate mixture on top of six marshmallows. Let stand for 1 hour or until set.
- 2. Warm chocolate mixture. For the penguin bodies, carefully dip sides of the marshmallows in chocolate mixture so three-fourths of the marshmallows are covered, leaving about 3/4-in. vertical strip of white. Let stand on waxed paper until set, about 1 hour.
- 3. For penguin heads, cut Tootsie Rolls into two-piece sections. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave at 10% power for 10-15 seconds or until slightly warmed. Carefully roll each into a ball.
- 4. With a toothpick, position chocolate chips for eyes. For beaks, cut off yellow end of six candy corn pieces; flatten remaining candy slightly. Press gently into chocolate balls. Reheat chocolate mixture. Dab a small amount onto bottom of each ball; position on penguin bodies. Let stand until set, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Separate cream-filled cookies; remove and discard cream filling. For wings, cut six cookies in half. Rewarm the chocolate mixture. Spread a small amount on each cookie half; attach to penguins with cut edge facing forward.
- 6. For bases, attach penguins to remaining cookies using melted chocolate. For feet, remove white ends of remaining candy corn pieces and discard; flatten candy. Attach two candies to each cookie base. Let stand for 45 minutes or until set. Yield: 6 penguins.
1 each: 232 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Perky Penguins
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC