These tuxedo-clad tidbits are actually ripe olives stuffed with a subtly seasoned cream cheese filling. The adorable appetizers are dressed for success with pimiento and carrot accessories.
- 1 can (5-3/4 ounces) jumbo pitted ripe olives, drained
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 12 small pitted ripe olives
- 12 toothpicks with cellophane frilled tops
- 1 jar (2 ounces) sliced pimientos
- Cut a slit from the top to bottom of 12 jumbo olives; set aside. In a bowl, combine the next six ingredients; mix well. Fill a small heavy-duty plastic bag with cream cheese mixture. Cut a small hole in the corner of the bag; carefully pipe mixture into jumbo olives. Set aside. Cut a small triangle out of each carrot slice; press triangles into small olives for a beak. On a each notched carrot slice, position a jumbo olive so the white chest is lined up with the notch. Place the small olive, hole side down, over the jumbo olive so the beak, chest and feet are aligned. Carefully insert a toothpick through the top of head into body and carrot base. Wrap a pimiento around neck for a scarf. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Perky Olive Penguins in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p39
Reviews for Perky Olive Penguins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review