- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place rhubarb in a colander; pour boiling water over rhubarb and allow to drain. In a large bowl, mix sugar, flour and tapioca. Add drained rhubarb; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk egg and cold water; stir into rhubarb mixture.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of the pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling; dot with butter. Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 40-50 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Perfect Rhubarb Pie
"I bake a lot of pies including all the pies for the family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I had rhubarb in my garden, in plenty, for the first time this year and wanted to bake a special birthday pie for my husband's birthday dinner. This recipe is awesome! So flavorful it will now become a new holiday pie for the family this year. I did add a little more rhubarb, but that was all I changed. Excellent! Brilliant! Thank you for a great recipe."
"I made this recipe, followed it perfectly, I took it to Missouri for my Mother in law...she said it tasted just like her Momma's Rhubarb pie, I even used Grandma Tilly's vinegar pie crust recipe for it, perfect pie, I will use it over and over~Thanks so much <3"
"Delicious, simple. I used King Arthur's Pie Enhancer instead of the flour, tapioca, & egg, and it worked well. In the future I would increase the amount of rhubarb, since it makes for a rather scanty filling. My family enjoyed this pie, all the way down to the 1-year-old!"
"I have never eaten rhubarb pie before, much less made one, so I thought this would be a good one to try since it is "perfect". Wow! I loved it! I will be making this one over again! It was so delicious! I must admit I am partial to fruit pie recipes that use tapioca pudding. This one was exactly as it was named: perfect!!"
"I have many rhubarb pie recipes and I found this one to be one of my favorites. Many times mine have been running and this one was not. It was sweet, but not too sweet... just a great recipe.. will use this one again ..."
"This really is the perfect balance of sweet and tart for our taste, and was also the perfect balance of fruit and sauce. There was a bit of sauce but wasn't runny. I'm throwing out my old recipe and plan to use this one from now on!"
"I find the filling is too much to fit into any of my 9" pie plates but was the perfect amount for my 10" Pyrex pie plates."
"The taste was great, for rhubarb soup. Hugh puddle of juice-the bottom 2/3 of the pie was submerged!. 1 teaspoon of tapioca, 3 tablespoons of flour, and 1 egg? No way this comes out as dry looking as the picture!"
"This is the best rhubarb pie I have ever made. As I was making this pie, my husband announced to me that he did not care for rhubarb. Funny, then why was he racing me for the last piece?"
"Do not understand the rationale for the boiling water bath???? (I do wash my rhubarb, and let it dry, prior to chopping it)"