Perfect Potato Pancakes
I like to serve these potato pancakes with barbecued sausage. They're also nice with baked ham and applesauce or with breakfast sausages. And, with these and other types of meals, they're a good alternative to french fries.
My children are married, and I'm a widow. So I don't do as much cooking as I once did. Guests always ask for the recipe when I serve this dish, though. And when my son and
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 4 large potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Maple syrup or applesauce
- Peel and shred potatoes; place in a bowl of cold water. Line a
- colander with cheese cloth or paper towels. Drain potatoes into
- cloth and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. In a large bowl,
- combine the potatoes, eggs, flour, onion, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium heat. Drop
- batter by 1/4 cupfuls into oil, about 3 in. apart. Press lightly to
- flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes on each side. Drain
- on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Top with maple syrup
- or applesauce. Yield: about 16 pancakes.