Perfect Pot Roast Recipe
Cooking meats, I have to confess, isn't my specialty. But everyone who tastes this main-course dish wants more! I'm a mostly at-home mom. I like to sew and read. I also enjoy gardening—we grow a good-sized patch, and it's so nice to have fresh-picked tomatoes and spinach when I make salads.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/2 hours YIELD:8-10 servings
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- All-purpose flour
- 1. Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender.
- 2. Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan.
- 3. For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC