Perfect Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 beef chuck pot roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- All-purpose flour
- Combine first four ingredients; rub onto roast. In a skillet, brown roast in oil. Place in a roasting pan. Add water, onion, green pepper, garlic and seasonings. Cover and bake at 325° for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until roast is tender.
- Remove and keep warm. Discard bay leaf. Skim fat from pan juices. Measure juices and transfer to a saucepan.
- For each cup of juices, combine 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water; mix well. Stir flour mixture into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with roast. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Perfect Pot Roast
Sort By :
"Loved this! I didn't have bay leaves when I made it, wish I had, but it was still very good. Used leftovers for bbq beef sandwiches. And I used cornstarch instead of flour to make the gravy. Works much better!"
"My husband and I thought this was very tasty, and I like the fact that canned soups and/or broth are not necessary."
"I have been making this pot roast since I found the recipe back in 1996 in my "Best of Country Cooking" 2nd edition cookbook. It is by far our favorite beef roast recipe. The juices also make a great gravy!"
"This really is a good pot roast recipe, and I've tried many. We were given a handful of a variety of small peppers from a friend's garden. We didn't know if they were sweet or hot, so we just chopped them all up and threw them in with this roast. When it was all cooked, we placed shreds of the roast and the peppers and onions in freshly baked tortillas and had the best "fajitas" I've ever had."
"This is my families favorite roast. I am always asked to make this. It has wonderful flavors and is probly the best roast recipe I have ever tried."