Perfect Peppermint Patties Recipe
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Add milk and mix well. Roll into 1-in. balls and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten with a glass to 1/4-in. Cover and freeze for 30 minutes.
- In a heavy saucepan or microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip patties, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 5 dozen.
Reviews for Perfect Peppermint Patties
Sort By :
I have been making these for several years and everyone loves them. I agree with sus_anne27, they need to go in the freezer. Now my daughter makes them for her family and it is a must every year at Christmas. I use milk chocolate for the coating since it is my favorite.
Mmmm I love York's, and this is a great way to make my own. I haven't found the easiest way to coat them with the chocolate so they looked weird but the taste was great! Perfect with a cold glass of milk!
I have been making these for 3 years now and everyone LOVES these. A word of advice, make your patties and put them on parchment paper. Put them in the freezer and leave them for a couple of hours. When you are ready to dip them, grab a few out of the freezer at a time, that way they stay hardened and will not melt as easily. They do soften a big but are still manageable. Out of 6 or 7 candies I make at Christmas, these are the messiest but well worth it!
These are fantastic! But very difficult to dip in the chocolate because their so delicate to work with. Will try again though.
Perfect? Yes! These were so easy to make, and better than York Peppermint Patties. I ran out of peppermint extract before I made the chocolate, so I melted some peppermint chocolate baking pieces with the other chocolate, and it worked out fine. Will definitely make these again!