My old fashioned gravy is the finishing touch to my family's holiday meal. Sliced turkey and mashed potatoes just wouldn't be complete with out this savory topping. —Sharon Adamczyk, Wind Lake, Wisconsin
Recommended: 17 Festive Christmas Brunch Ideas
- Turkey giblets and neck bone
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the giblets, neck bone, broth, onions, carrots, wine, celery leaves, garlic and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Strain and discard giblets, neck bone, vegetables and bay leaf. Set cooking juices aside; cool slightly. (Refrigerate if made ahead.)
- Just before serving, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 cups.
Originally published as Perfect Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p112
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Perfect Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review