- Turkey giblets and neck bone
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white wine or water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place the giblets, neck bone, broth, onions, carrots, wine, celery leaves, garlic and bay leaf in a Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 hours.
- Strain and discard giblets, neck bone, vegetables and bay leaf. Set cooking juices aside; cool slightly. (Refrigerate if made ahead.)
- Just before serving, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 cups.
Originally published as Perfect Gravy in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p112
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Perfect Gravy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review