Perfect Dinner Rolls Recipe
These rolls melt in your mouth. I loved them as a child, and I'm happy to make them for my kids because I know I am making for them the same wonderful memories my mom made for me! —Gayleen Grote, Battle View, North Dakota
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups bread flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, shortening, creamer, salt and 5 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Shape each into a roll. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 roll equals 142 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 222 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC