Perfect Apple Pie Recipe
Says Judy Oudekerk of St. Michael, Minnesota, "This is one of the best apple pies I've ever tasted."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons cold water
- 7 to 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening. Gradually add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Chill for 30 minutes. On a floured surface, roll half of dough into 10-in. circle. Place into a 9-in. pie pan.
- 2. In a bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; add to apples and toss. Pour into crust; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut slits in top. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Beat egg yolk and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 40-45 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 479 calories, 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 326 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
Reviews for Perfect Apple Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC