Peppy Meatball Subs Recipe
A store in town used to sell the most amazing meatball subs. When I discovered they no longer offered them. I decided to get creative and make my own. My husband and young children love my version. - Cristine Costello, Sonora, California
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 6 submarine or hoagie buns, split
- 1 jar (11-1/2 ounces) pepperoncini, drained and sliced, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained, optional
- Shredded Parmesan cheese and thinly sliced red onion, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, egg, bread crumbs, onion, red pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
- 2. Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, turning once; drain.
- 3. Transfer to a large saucepan; add remaining spaghetti sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Spoon meatballs and sauce onto bun bottoms. Top with pepperoncini, olives, Parmesan cheese and red onion if desired. Replace bun tops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 741 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 2,663 mg sodium, 100 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Reviews for Peppy Meatball Subs
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC