Peppy Ham Tortillas Recipe
"The beauty of this hearty breakfast is that it can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge to avoid last-minute fuss," relates Donna Freeland from Upland, California. "In the morning, pop the pan in the oven, and soon you'll be enjoying flavorful filled tortillas covered with a creamy cheese sauce."
- 12 thin slices fully cooked ham
- 1 block (16 ounces) Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped jalapenos or chilies, drained
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 4 cups milk
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Place a ham slice, cheese strip and 2 teaspoons jalapenos down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. stir in the flour, salt and mustard until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add cheese; cook and stir until melted.
- 3. Spoon sauce evenly over tortillas. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 943 calories, 61 g fat (34 g saturated fat), 203 mg cholesterol, 2,291 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 51 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC