Peppery Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Roasted jalapeno and red peppers plus garlic accent the delicate sweet potato flavor in this golden soup. "The recipe is from my grandmother, who loved making soups that were fast, easy and great-tasting," relates Suzan Wiener of Spring Hill, Florida. "My family always asks for seconds."
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1. Broil whole jalapeno and red peppers 4 in. from the heat until the skins blister, about 7 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin; remove stems and seeds. Finely chop peppers.
- 2. Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic from skins into a small bowl and mash.
- 3. In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine the peppers, garlic, broth, sweet potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk; heat through. Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 166 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 613mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Reviews for Peppery Sweet Potato Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC