- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Broil whole jalapeno and red peppers 4 in. from the heat until the skins blister, about 7 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin; remove stems and seeds. Finely chop peppers.
- Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic from skins into a small bowl and mash.
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine the peppers, garlic, broth, sweet potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk; heat through. Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Peppery Sweet Potato Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p33
Reviews for Peppery Sweet Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review