Peppery Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
Roasted jalapeno and red peppers plus garlic accent the delicate sweet potato flavor in this golden soup. "The recipe is from my grandmother, who loved making soups that were fast, easy and great-tasting," relates Suzan Wiener of Spring Hill, Florida. "My family always asks for seconds."
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 2 medium sweet red peppers
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Broil whole jalapeno and red peppers 4 in. from the heat until the skins blister, about 7 minutes. With tongs, rotate peppers a quarter turn. Broil and rotate until all sides are blistered and blackened. Immediately place peppers in a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. Peel off and discard charred skin; remove stems and seeds. Finely chop peppers.
- Place garlic on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil; drizzle with oil. Wrap foil around garlic. Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Squeeze softened garlic from skins into a small bowl and mash.
- In a large saucepan or soup kettle, combine the peppers, garlic, broth, sweet potatoes and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk; heat through. Cool slightly. Process soup in batches in a blender or food processor until smooth; return all to the pan and heat through. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Peppery Sweet Potato Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p33
Reviews for Peppery Sweet Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 12, 2013
This is a healthy delicious soup with a lot of zip! Next time I make it I will only use half of a jalapeno but otherwise terrific