Peppery Shrimp and Rice Recipe
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 3/4 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery and onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add peppers; cook 3 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in the tomato sauce, sherry, chili sauce, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add shrimp; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1-1/4 cups shrimp mixture with 1 cup rice) equals 428 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 129 mg cholesterol, 913 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 24 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.