Peppery Shrimp and Rice Recipe
"This recipe has evolved over the years to satisfy my husband's yearning for shrimp over rice, which he enjoyed while growing up in Louisiana," writes Cynthia Schaible Boyll of Loveland, Ohio. Chili sauce and red pepper flakes give a Cajun kick to this pretty, palatable dish.
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sherry or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 3/4 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute celery and onion in oil for 3 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Add peppers; cook 3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, sherry, chili sauce, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add shrimp; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Peppery Shrimp and Rice in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p12
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Peppery Shrimp and Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Rice Dinner >
- Rice Recipes >
- Seafood Recipes >