Peppery Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Mother knew these rich, hearty potatoes are excellent on a cold day since the cayenne pepper warms you up. Once the first of us eight kids picked up this dish, it didn't hit the table again until we all had big servings. -Helen Vail, Glenside, Pennsylvania
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the soup, milk, salt and cayenne; set aside. Place a third of the potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; layer with a third of the butter, flour and soup mixture. Repeat layers twice. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 207 calories, 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC