I often take these French bread pizzas to church picnics or potluck suppers and there is never any left. When I fix them for the two of us, I freeze two halves in foil to enjoy later. —Lou Stasny, Poplarville, Mississippi
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 loaves (8 ounces each) French bread, halved lengthwise
- 1 jar (8 ounces) process cheese sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced jalapenos, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in garlic powder and salt.
- Place each bread half on a large piece of heavy-duty foil. Spread with cheese sauce. Top with beef mixture, mushrooms, onions and jalapenos. Drizzle with tomato sauce. Top with Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Wrap and freeze. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To bake: Unwrap loaves and thaw on baking sheets in the refrigerator. Bake at 350° for 18 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8-12 servings.
Originally published as Peppery Pizza Loaves in Quick Cooking March/April 2000, p16
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Peppery Pizza Loaves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review