Peppery Philly Steaks
Since we love to cook and eat, my husband and I are always developing new recipes. This is one we especially enjoy when we have fresh peppers. Our home is a small mountain cabin that's 3 hours from town. We have no electricity or phone...and we cook about half the time on a wood stove.
-Edie Fitch, Clifton, Arizona
5-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 to 6 French or Italian sandwich rolls, split
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) whole green chilies, drained and halved
- 5 to 6 slices Swiss cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the steak, peppers and onion over medium
- heat in oil until meat is no longer pink. Spread butter on rolls;
- top with meat mixture, chilies and cheese. Wrap in heavy-duty foil.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until heated through and cheese
- is melted. Yield: 5-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 473 calories, 24 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet