Peppery Onion Bread
"This bread gets a flavor boost from minced onion and black pepper," says Dale Rosenthal. "It's very good toasted and served with steak or spaghetti," suggests the Austin, Minnesota cook.
16 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon water (70° to 80°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 98 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.