For our family, a good fish dinner just isn't complete without these zesty hush puppies. You can also serve them alone as a satisfying snack. —Carolyn Griffin, Macon, Georgia
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup grated onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water, buttermilk and butter. Stir in the onion, jalapenos and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Peppery Hush Puppies in Best of Country Breads 2000, p98
Reviews for Peppery Hush Puppies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review