Peppery Hush Puppies
For our family, a good fish dinner just isn't complete without these zesty hush puppies. You can also serve them alone as a satisfying snack. —Carolyn Griffin, Macon, Georgia
18 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup grated onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar,
- salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water,
- buttermilk and butter. Stir in the onion, jalapenos and green
- pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until
- golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
- Yield: 6 dozen.