Peppery Hush Puppies
These spicy hush puppies make a wonderful side dish to fish. They taste best when served warm.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Bisquick® mix
- 2-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, pancake mix, sugar, baking
- powder and salt. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, oil,
- jalapenos, onion and pepper sauce. Stir into dry ingredients just
- until combined.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes or
- until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 4
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.