Peppery Hush Puppies Recipe
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup grated onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water, buttermilk and butter. Stir in the onion, jalapenos and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Peppery Hush Puppies(6)
Sort By :
I omitted the green pepper and put in two nice large jalapenos. These are beautifully light and crispy! The best!
Thank you for this recipe.
So easy to make and so much compliments from the familie. There is left some batter in de frige, I try to make that tomorrow.
Angelika from the Netherlands
excellent! I chose to make the green peppers optional and still had great raves. this has been put in my favorites file. These are also great to serve with a country meal of blackeyed peas or pintoes with mixed greens (turnip & mustard) and mashed potatoes. thanks for sharing your recipe.
Haven't made this yet, but I know a good recipe when I see it. I'm thinking of adding 2 cans of chopped clams and make a fantastic "Clam Fritter". Omit the water and use clam juice with beer instead. done any way I know this is a winner.
Can't wait to try this recipe ! Sounds like the ones served at a favorite fish restaurant, but Taste of home can you set this up to only print the recipe and NOT the ads ? Waste of printer ink !! Thanks for the recipe Carolyn !