- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup grated onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg, water, buttermilk and butter. Stir in the onion, jalapenos and green pepper. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Peppery Hush Puppies
Sort By :
"These hush puppies had a perfect crispness on the outside with a light and fluffy texture in the middle. The peppers gave a welcomed spicy pop to the traditional flavor."
"Remove sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and all purpose flour.Change flour to self rising.you can also purchase the jalapeno already diced...I deep fry mine a little higher temp.Also, use a cup of water to dip your spoon in, allows the hush puppy to slide off of your spoon easily.And if you are deep frying fish, fry hush puppies last , this really adds to the taste..."
"I omitted the green pepper and put in two nice large jalapenos. These are beautifully light and crispy! The best!"
"Thank you for this recipe.So easy to make and so much compliments from the familie. There is left some batter in de frige, I try to make that tomorrow.Angelika from the Netherlands"
"excellent! I chose to make the green peppers optional and still had great raves. this has been put in my favorites file. These are also great to serve with a country meal of blackeyed peas or pintoes with mixed greens (turnip & mustard) and mashed potatoes. thanks for sharing your recipe."