- 1 pound red potatoes (about 6 medium), cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- Place potatoes and onion in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix seasonings. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub seasoning mixture over outside and inside of chicken. Place chicken over vegetables.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. Remove chicken from slow cooker; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
- Transfer vegetables to a platter; keep warm. If desired, skim fat and thicken cooking juices for gravy. Serve with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Peppery Chicken with Potatoes
"I used chicken breasts instead and added baby carrots and a little bit of vegetable broth. Will definitely make again."
"This is wonderful!! I used just legs and thighs and added just a little splash of chicken broth. The chicken is so juicy, one bite and the juices were running down my chin!! Outstanding flavor as well!!"
"My potatoes turned out gray looking and not very appetizing. Any suggestions?"
"I just put everything together to make this, and realized there is no liquid of any kind! Shouldn't there be some liquid? So I added a can of cream of chicken soup and a 1/4 cup of milk. Next time I will probably just add a little chicken broth. But it was very good, the flavor of the chicken was wonderful! And because the potatoes cooked in the liquid with the onions, they had a great taste too. Would I make this again? Yes."
"Hubby loved it. You don't need to add liquid, the chicken provides the juices. This is a keeper. Flavorful but not hot spicy."