"Savory slices of these round loaves will complement a meal," Sue Braunschweig of Delafield, Wisconsin suggests.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/3 to 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dissolve yeast in water. Add the sour cream, egg, sugar, salt and 2/3 cup flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky). Fold in cheese and pepper. Do not knead. Divide in half. Place in a greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Peppery Cheese Bread in Taste of Home April/May 1995, p45
Reviews for Peppery Cheese Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review