Peppery Cheddar Muffins
In Gardner Massachusetts, it takes just minutes for Joanie Elbourn to stir up a dozen of these savory muffins. The cheddar cheese and pepper flavors come through in each bite.
12 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, pepper and salt.
- Combine the egg, buttermilk, oil and honey; stir into dry
- ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese. Fill greased or
- paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-22
- minutes or until muffins test done. Cool for 5 minutes before
- removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 169 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 249 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.