Peppery Beef Stir-Fry Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top sirloin steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas, thawed and halved
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1. Cook linguine according to package directions; drain. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, pepper and cayenne. Stir in water and soy sauce until smooth; set aside.
- 2. In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry beef in hot oil for 4-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Using a slotted spoon, remove meat and set aside. Add the peppers and garlic; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the snow peas and mushrooms; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 3. Stir soy sauce mixture and add to vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beef and linguine; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 388 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 879mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Reviews for Peppery Beef Stir-Fry
"I have made this more than once. I've had to play with the amount of pepper I use depending on who I am making it for. Everyone likes it! A little spicy but just enough. Great recipe!"
"I have never had a stir fry before so I had no idea what to expect, I am so glad this was my first! I love this recipe, it's fabulous! I didn't use the mushrooms because my husband & I don't like them otherwise I followed exactly as written & it turned out perfect! My husband & I love spicy food, this is spicy without being too hot. This has definitely been added to our menu! Next time I think I will use beef broth instead of water but that's my only change."
"Excellent flavor - just a hint of heat. However, I used beef broth in place of the water, and added an onion, cut julienne like the peppers."
"I made a less-spicy chicken version using the following changes:1/2 tsp pepper instead of 1 tsp1/4 tsp paprika instead of cayenne pepper1/4 instead of 1/2 c. soy saucethinly sliced chicken instead of beeffrozen Asian vegetable mix and frozen peas instead of fresh snow peas and mushroomsIt was delicious!"
"two words for this recipe, YUM ME!! We loved it. I added one can of low sodium beef broth to make a little extra sauce/gravy."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.