There's a surprise inside this golden braided loaf - a flavorful pizza-like filling. I served the stromboli for our daughter's special "going to school" fifth grade party not long before she began kindergarten. The children loved it - and I have found so do adults!
-Leslie Miller, Butler, Pennsylvania
8-10 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup spaghetti or pizza sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll each loaf into a
- 20-in. x 8-in. rectangle.
- Place one rectangle on a greased baking sheet. Spread spaghetti sauce
- in an 18-in. x 4-in. strip down the center. Sprinkle with oregano,
- pepperoni and mozzarella cheese. Fold long sides of dough up toward
- filling; set aside.
- Cut the remaining rectangle into three strips. Loosely braid strips;
- pinch ends to seal. Place braid on top of the cheese; pinch braid to
- dough to seal. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 3
- minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 265 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Sweet Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.