Pepperoni Pizzazz Recipe
- 8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 3-1/2 cups spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine 2-1/3 cups spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, mushrooms, green pepper, onion, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Drain pasta; add to sauce mixture and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Combine tomato sauce and remaining spaghetti sauce; pour over top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 9 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pepperoni Pizzazz(7)
Sort By :
This recipe is delicious as is but the kids found the pepperoni to intense for their liking. So I changed it a little. While the noodles were cooking, I browned a pound of ground beef with the vegetables and half the pepperoni (which I chopped). This gives great flavor to the meat and seems to mellow the pepperoni. After draining the meat, I added the parmesan and sauces to the meat and then the noodles. In a 13 by 9 pan I cooked the casserole, covered for 45 minutes. I took it out of the oven, layered the rest of the pepperoni on top of the noodles and sprinkled on the mozzarella. I baked for another 15 minutes. Now everyone loves it.
Originally made this recipe in 1999 when it came out. The flavor is excellent. I cut the recipe in half becasue it does make a lot. This is also great for a pot luck.
This is really delicious! It makes a big batch too! I would add a little bit more of the spices next time, but overall it was great!
EXCELLENT; makes a ton