Pepperoni Pizza Twists Recipe
- 2 packages (11 ounces each) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1. Place one loaf on a lightly floured surface. With a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit down the center of loaf to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open dough so it lies flat; sprinkle with half of flour. Roll into a 14-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining loaf.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Spread half of mozzarella mixture down the center of each rectangle. Drizzle each with 3 tablespoons pizza sauce.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from a long side; seal seams and ends. Place one loaf seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Place remaining loaf seam side down next to the first loaf. Twist loaves together three times.
- 4. With a sharp knife, make three shallow 3-in. slashes across top of each loaf; brush with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 4 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining pizza sauce.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled unsliced bread in heavy-duty foil. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before reheating. Remove from foil and reheat on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 325° oven until heated through. Serve as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 319 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 1016mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Reviews for Pepperoni Pizza Twists
"Easy, delicious, and quick my kind of recipe! I made just a change in the top of the bread. I mixed olive oil, asiago and parsley and brushed it over the top. Nice recipe."
"Very good twist on a typical pizza. I added chopped onion and green pepper to give an additional kick of flavor. The great thing about this recipe is it's very easy to toss in your favorite toppings and make it all your own."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.