My stepsister gave me this recipe and I just tweaked it. You can add diced green peppers and olives, too.” Lisa Worley - Adairsville, Georgia
- 2 packages (11 ounces each) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, finely chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce, divided
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Place one loaf on a lightly floured surface. With a sharp knife, make a lengthwise slit down the center of loaf to within 1/2 in. of bottom. Open dough so it lies flat; sprinkle with half of flour. Roll into a 14-in. x 5-in. rectangle. Repeat with remaining loaf.
- In a large bowl, combine mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. Spread half of mozzarella mixture down the center of each rectangle. Drizzle each with 3 tablespoons pizza sauce.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from a long side; seal seams and ends. Place one loaf seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Place remaining loaf seam side down next to the first loaf. Twist loaves together three times.
- With a sharp knife, make three shallow 3-in. slashes across top of each loaf; brush with egg white. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 4 minutes longer or until golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with remaining pizza sauce.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled unsliced bread in heavy-duty foil. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before reheating. Remove from foil and reheat on a greased baking sheet in a preheated 325° oven until heated through. Serve as directed. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pepperoni Pizza Twists in Simple & Delicious November/December 2008, p51
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Pepperoni Pizza Twists
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review