A casual dinner turns into a bow-tie affair when I toss pasta, mushrooms, pepperoni and tomato sauce together. This recipe is my version of a favorite restaurant dish. —Dawn Onuffer, Crestview, Florida
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 4 cups uncooked ziti or bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in pepperoni. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Discard bay leaves from sauce; stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Pepperoni 'n' Tomato Pasta in Country Woman February/March 2008, p25
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pepperoni 'n' Tomato Pasta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review