- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 4 cups uncooked ziti or bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in pepperoni. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Discard bay leaves from sauce; stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPepperoni 'n' Tomato Pasta
"I thought 8 servings would be too much so I cut the recipe in half. I thought it was delicious. The flavor was excellent and it was very easy to make. I wouldn't change a thing. My kids ate it, however, they picked out the green pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms."
"Made half of the recipe for two of us; then made the full reciped for a Senior dinner and came home with very little. Super taste; the pepperoni and the red pepper flakes give it a spicey taste. I like what others have said they put in it. I'm sure it would only enhance it. Love it and plan on passing this recipe around."
"I made it; we ate it ... and ate it. Even my co-workers loved the leftovers. I added some Italian sausage, black olives and artichoke hearts to my sauce and used penne pasta (since that's what I had on hand). My Italian husband said it's a winner."
"My whole family loved this!! I added a bit of browned hamburger to make it a bit meatier for my guys."
"I printed the recipe out to make this weekend. This is very similar to my fave dish at our local restaurant - although they also put crumbled It. sausage and olives in it & use penne pasta - they call it Penne Rustica & charge $14.95"
"how about nutritional values?"
"This is fabulous - def make again and perfect just the way it is!"
"I made this ewcipe today and it was wonderful. You can change the recipe any way you like, that doesn't mean there is something wrong with it. I omited the mushrooms because I have an alergy to them. My husband also loved it..Can't wait to share it with my friends."
"This takes a little effort, but well worth it...yum!"