- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 4 cups uncooked ziti or bow tie pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, green pepper and mushrooms in oil until tender.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Stir in pepperoni. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and place in a large serving bowl. Discard bay leaves from sauce; stir in Parmesan cheese. Pour over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Pepperoni 'n' Tomato Pasta
Sort By :
"Aside from not having the fennel this was a quick and easy meal to prepare. I served this over whole wheat bow tie pasta and didn't bother with the mozzarella sprinkled on top."
"I thought 8 servings would be too much so I cut the recipe in half. I thought it was delicious. The flavor was excellent and it was very easy to make. I wouldn't change a thing. My kids ate it, however, they picked out the green pepper, tomatoes, and mushrooms."
"Made half of the recipe for two of us; then made the full reciped for a Senior dinner and came home with very little. Super taste; the pepperoni and the red pepper flakes give it a spicey taste. I like what others have said they put in it. I'm sure it would only enhance it. Love it and plan on passing this recipe around."
"I made it; we ate it ... and ate it. Even my co-workers loved the leftovers. I added some Italian sausage, black olives and artichoke hearts to my sauce and used penne pasta (since that's what I had on hand). My Italian husband said it's a winner."
"My whole family loved this!! I added a bit of browned hamburger to make it a bit meatier for my guys."