My youngest daughter and I enjoy time in the kitchen together making these attractive appetizers. The "firecrackers" burst with chicken, cheese and pepperoncinis.
8 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pepperoncini, drained
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cut into 24 pieces
- 24 thin strips Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese (about 1-1/2 inches x 1/4 inch x 1/8 inch)
- 24 sheets phyllo dough, (14 inches x 9 inches)
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray
- Melted butter
- 48 whole chives, optional
- Remove 24 pepperoncini from jar; remove and discard stems and seeds.
- Drain peppers on paper towels. Stuff each with a piece of chicken
- and a cheese strip (cheese may need to be cut to fit in some
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface (keep remaining
- dough covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out). Spritz dough
- with butter-flavored spray. Repeat three times; stack sprayed phyllo
- dough. Cut stacks into four pieces, about 6-1/2 in. x 4-1/4 in.
- Center one stuffed pepper on one long side of each phyllo stack; roll
- up and twist the ends to seal. Repeat with remaining peppers and
- dough. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Drizzle butter over center
- of firecrackers. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until golden