Peppermint Twist Kisses Recipe
As rosy as Santa's cheeks, these merry morsels with the chocolate kiss on top are a delightful yuletide favorite and one of my most-requested recipes. —Traci Wynne, Denver, Pennsylvania
- 36 candy cane kisses or milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 1. Freeze kisses in a covered container for at least 1 hour. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide dough in half; tint one portion red. Divide each half into four portions and shape into 9-in. long rolls. Place one red log next to one white log; twist gently to create one swirled roll. Roll gently until it becomes one log. Repeat with remaining dough. Wrap logs in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap dough. Cut each log crosswise into nine slices; shape each slice into a ball. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately press a kiss into center of each cookie. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 72 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC