Peppermint Twist Kisses Recipe
- 36 candy cane kisses or milk chocolate kisses, unwrapped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 to 8 drops red food coloring
- 1. Freeze kisses in a covered container for at least 1 hour. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture.
- 2. Divide dough in half; tint one portion red. Divide each half into four portions and shape into 9-in. long rolls. Place one red log next to one white log; twist gently to create one swirled roll. Roll gently until it becomes one log. Repeat with remaining dough. Wrap logs in plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap dough. Cut each log crosswise into nine slices; shape each slice into a ball. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately press a kiss into center of each cookie. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 3 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 72 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 46 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Peppermint Twist Kisses
"These cookies are easy to make and the candy cane flavors are superb! I made one batch and am in the midst of making batch two for gifts."
"Super easy. The boys loved them. Had to make another batch!"
"Fun to make. Pretty to look at. Festive looking. Tastes good too."
"This is my new favorite Christmas cookie recipe and my Grandsons love them too! The chocolate and peppermint are so good together and they are also so pretty. I always make a double batch. I never thought anything would replace our favorite peanut butter kiss cookie recipe but this did the trick! Yum!"
"they were yummy, i substuted vanilla for the peppermint, theyre the perfect texture, not to soft, not to crispy"