Peppermint Taffy Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Red food coloring
- 1. Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside. In a heavy large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Slowly add the milk; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint oil and food coloring, keeping face away from mixture, as odor is very strong. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 8 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- 3. With well-buttered fingers, quickly pull candy until firm but pliable (color will become light pink). Pull into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into 1-in. pieces. Wrap each in waxed paper. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
2 each: 174 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 0g fiber), trace protein
Reviews for Peppermint Taffy
"May be an award winner, but is some nasty stuff to handle. VERY sticky, had to throw away a pan - would never make agan."