For a fun afternoon activity, get the kids or friend involved in an old-fashioned taffy pull. The soft chewy taffy has a milk minty flavor, and it won't stick to the wrapper. You can change the color and flavor, too.
20 ServingsPrep: 1-3/4 hours + cooling
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Red food coloring
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside. In a heavy large
- saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and
- stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over
- medium heat. Slowly add the milk; cook and stir until a candy
- thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint oil and food coloring,
- keeping face away from mixture, as odor is very strong. Pour into
- prepared pan. Let stand for 8 minutes or until cool enough to
- With well-buttered fingers, quickly pull candy until firm but pliable
- (color will become light pink). Pull into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into
- 1-in. pieces. Wrap each in waxed paper. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 174 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium,