Peppermint Taffy Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Red food coloring
- 1. Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside. In a heavy large saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, vinegar and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Slowly add the milk; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint oil and food coloring, keeping face away from mixture, as odor is very strong. Pour into prepared pan. Let stand for 8 minutes or until cool enough to handle.
- 3. With well-buttered fingers, quickly pull candy until firm but pliable (color will become light pink). Pull into a 1/2-in. rope; cut into 1-in. pieces. Wrap each in waxed paper. Yield: 1-3/4 pounds.
1 serving (2 each) equals 174 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 66 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.
Reviews for Peppermint Taffy
"May be an award winner, but is some nasty stuff to handle. VERY sticky, had to throw away a pan - would never make agan."