Peppermint Stick Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups white baking chips
- Crushed mint candies
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Set aside half the dough. Divide remaining dough in half; add green food coloring to one portion and red food coloring to the other. Wrap dough separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or until easy to handle.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Divide green and red dough into 24 portions each. Divide plain dough into 48 portions. Roll each into a 4-in. rope. Place each green rope next to a white rope; press together gently and twist. Repeat with red ropes and remaining white ropes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool 2 minutes before carefully removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 5. In a microwave, melt white chips; stir until smooth. Dip cookie ends into melted chips; allow excess to drip off. Sprinkle with crushed candies and place on waxed paper. Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without candies) equals 107 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.