- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 to 9 drops each red and green food coloring
- Line an 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pan with waxed paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and peppermint extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough into thirds. Add red food coloring to one portion; spread evenly into prepared pan. Spread second portion over first layer. Add green food coloring to third portion; spread over second layer. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- Using waxed paper, lift dough out of pan. Gently peel off waxed paper. Cut dough into thirds lengthwise. Cut each portion into 1/4-in. slices.
- Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 8 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Ribbon Cookies in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p84
Reviews for Peppermint Ribbon Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 19, 2015
"These cookies were rich and buttery. Peppermint flavor was definite without being strong. A pregnant co-worker loved them and her baby inside her was kicking, saying they were yummy!"