Peppermint Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
I dress up a boxed cake mix by stirring in sour cream, red food coloring and chocolate chips. A white chocolate and cream cheese frosting—sprinkled with crushed mints—is the crowning touch.—Donna Bardocz, Howell, Michigan
- 1 package German chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 bottle (1 ounce) red food coloring
- 1 cup (6 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 7 cups confectioners' sugar
- White chocolate curls and crushed peppermint candies, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sour cream, eggs, water, oil and food coloring; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in chocolate chips.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in melted white chocolate and extract. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 4. Frost cupcakes. Sprinkle with chocolate curls and peppermint candies if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cupcake (calculated without garnishes) equals 450 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 255 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC