Peppermint Potato Candy Recipe
No one will suspect that these quick minty candies started with yesterday's mashed potatoes. Our taste-testing panelists couldn't get enough of the chocolate-covered sweets that were submitted by Cindy Reams from Philipsburg, Pennsylvania.
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, butter and extract until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Press into a foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- 2. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-3/4 pounds.
1 serving (2 each) equals 271 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 56 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC