No one will suspect that these quick minty candies started with yesterday's mashed potatoes. Our taste-testing panelists couldn't get enough of the chocolate-covered sweets that were submitted by Cindy Reams from Philipsburg, Pennsylvania.
Recommended: Grandma's Best Desserts
- 3/4 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without milk and butter)
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 7-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the mashed potatoes, butter and extract until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Press into a foil-lined 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate until set. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-3/4 pounds.
Originally published as Peppermint Potato Candy in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p57
Reviews for Peppermint Potato Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 3, 2010
"These are very good and super sweet. Next time I think I'll use either wax paper or parchment paper to line the pan. Don't let the chocolate get too hard. It cracks when you try to cut it. ;)"
Reviewed Oct. 29, 2009 Edited Apr. 5, 2014