Put a spin on your holidays with these bright swirls! This recipe makes rich-tasting cookies with a minty flavor that sometimes surprises people. —Marcia Hostetter, Canton, New York
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add extract and red food coloring to one portion.
- On a work surface, roll out each portion of dough between waxed paper into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Remove waxed paper. Place red rectangle over plain rectangle; roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Pinwheels in Taste of Home December/January 2003, p9
Reviews for Peppermint Pinwheels
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review